Today, I am hosting a guest post by Dianne Hartsock as part of the THE SHED book tour hosted by Goddess Fish Promotions. It is a psychological thriller with an m/m romance subplot available now from Solstice Publishing. Dianne will be awarding a A $25 Gift Card from Amazon plus an e-copy of ALEX, the first book in the series to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
Be sure to follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.
As a Certified Mental Health Therapist, Scott Reid has his share of interesting experiences, though nothing compares with the time he spends with the psychic, Alex Elson. Plagued by terrifying images and dreams, Alex turns to Doctor Reid in the hopes of learning to control his visions. Instead, Scott is pulled into Alex’s world, where dreams and reality mix and nightmares are real.
Two young men, brothers, have been abducted from the lake outside of Oakton without a trace of who took them. That is, until Alex receives a silver pocket watch in the mail belonging to the elder brother, a taunt from the kidnapper for Alex to come find them. Alex’s visions turn at once into nightmares. Images flash in his mind of an abandoned well and a terrified, lonely boy slowly dying at the bottom. The shed looms close by, holding a horrifying secret, a dark place Alex’s frightened mind refuses to go.
With the help of Scott Reid, Alex endeavors to control his visions and find the brutalized victims before death claims them. But the watch is ticking away and time’s running out.
“Hey Alex…” Justin’s voice trailed off, and he put the coffee pot on the warmer and went over to him when the man didn’t respond. Scott joined them, leaving his computer on the table as he passed. Alex’s eyes were wide, unfocused as he stared out the window. His breath came quickly and sweat beaded his forehead.
“What do you see?” Scott asked, voice mild, placid.
“It’s hot here. Grass is dry.” Alex’s whispered words sent a shiver through Scott. He sounded…detached. “The forest is dark across the way. Crows circle above the trees.”
“Alex, where are you right now?” Scott made the question a demand.
A shudder ran Alex’s lean frame. “I’m in your office, Dr. Reid. I see the garden through the window. But I’m also here, in this empty field. Talk to me! I want to come away from here.”
Scott touched his hand. “Come home, Alex.”
“It’s hard. Something’s drawing me to the forest. God! I don’t want to go in there.”
“Jane would want you to come home,” Scott said firmly, using the ace up his sleeve. For a second he didn’t think even the deep love Alex had for his wife could draw
him back, but then he blinked his eyes into focus, and gave Scott a slight smile.
“Thank you. That’s a terrible place.”
“Is it a real place, do you think?”
Alex’s expression turned bleak. “Yes,” he whispered.
Seven Things You Didn’t Know About THE SHED
- Nick Kramer’s uncle owns the property where THE SHED is located. As a child, Nick spent many summer vacations at the cabin and knows the surrounding forest inside and out.
- My novel ALEX ends with Nick Kramer kidnapping him. Alex is rescued and an APB is put out for Nick. He fleas to his uncle’s property in the mountains, hiding out in the old shed in the intervening weeks between the books, plotting his revenge.
- Nick has always been a little afraid of his daughter Helen, unable to bring himself to believe in her psychic abilities. It’s easier to believe she is clinically insane.
- After suffering years of abuse at the hands of his father, Scott Reid left home at sixteen, pumping gas at the local station after school to pay for the small apartment he’d gotten with the help of a friend’s parents.
- Achieving academic excellence, Scott put himself through college with scholarships and the work study programs offered.
- Alex has been psychic all his life, and though my two novels, ALEX and THE SHED, focus on his major visions, he is also empathetic and will rarely meet someone’s gaze, fearing their emotions will jump to him and overwhelm his senses.
- Christopher and his brother Caleb are from a wealthy family where both parents work at their careers and are rarely home. Christopher is a straight A student, while Caleb is happy with B’s and C’s, focusing more on his position as ‘running back’ for the school’s football team.
AUTHOR Bio and Links
Dianne grew up in one of the older houses in the middle of Los Angeles, a place of hardwood floors and secret closets and back staircases. It’s where her love of the mysterious and wonderful came from. Dianne now lives in the beautiful Willamette Valley of Oregon with her incredibly patient husband, who puts up with the endless hours she spends hunched over the keyboard letting her characters play.
She says Oregon’s raindrops are the perfect setting in which to write. There’s something about being cooped up in the house while it pours rain outside, a fire crackles on the hearth inside, and a cup of hot coffee warms her hands which kindles her imagination.
Currently, Dianne works as a floral designer in a locally-owned gift shop. Which is the perfect job for her. When not writing, she can express herself through the rich colors and textures of flowers and foliage.
Solstice Publishing: http://solsticepublishing.com/search.php?search_query=DIANNE+HARTSOCK&x=0&y=0